Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Raindrops on Roses (or peonies)

Our lovely heat wave was followed by lots of rain. I've been picking strawberries every day, trying to get them before birds (?), chipmunks (?) do. The berries are lovely and big. Here is what was on my counter this evening.


Because of the rain, many of them have been splashed with dirt, but I wash them and freeze them, so that isn't a problem. I also made this for myself for dessert. Have you tried these meringue nests before? I like them, but husband doesn't really care for them. He just had a bowl of strawberries with a little whipped cream.


Not only does the heat and the rain make the strawberries swell and ripen, it has also been a boost to the flower beds. Here's what is blooming now:

The white peonies bloom first. Unfortunately, they suffered a bit in all the rain. Some are a sodden mess, but the ones that had only just opened faired better.

The pink peonies are just starting. I love how soft the petals are and the fragrance is heavenly.

Mock orange has to be one of the most fragrant shrubs. The smell makes me think of my Aunt Jean and Uncle Earl's place where we would gather for family get-togethers.

These are the flowers close up. I don't know how to describe the scent. Maybe like cherries.

This is another cranesbill (hardy geranium) which I think is called Johnson's Blue. It doesn't spread, is on the taller side, and the colour is just beautiful. However, part way through the summer it looks gangly and rather ugly, so I usually cut it back.

My one and only fox glove, although I try so hard to have foxgloves. They just don't last. The periwinkle blue plant in the background is spiderwort. I first saw spiderwort at a garden called Larkwhistle up on the Bruce Peninsula and knew I had to have some. Mine have never been as big and luscious as the ones I saw, but I still like them.

This is called gasplant.  Apparently, the gases given off by the blossoms can be lit to a tiny flame. I have not tried. I only have the one clump.

In this shrub border, the weigela and ninebark are both blooming very well this year.

Gerald, my Easter Island Head Guy is adorned with dappled willow (I think there is another name) and weigela.

Unfortunately, with all the rain, the limb of this Manitoba maple got so heavy, it gave way. Thankfully there was mostly just lawn underneath.

These trees are not the strongest and we've had branches come down before. We did not plant these trees. They grow like weeds along the edge of our property. We will need to ask our neighbour to come over with his handy dandy chainsaw. Then we will have a bit more firewood for next year, and the smaller branches, we will just burn.

Well, that's the week. I'll be picking strawberries and freezing more through the weekend. It is coming up to Father's Day, of course. I don't know if we will be able to get both kids home at the same time, but we'll try to work something out. Present is bought. He wants roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. Help me. I tried to do Yorkshire pudding a couple of times before but it isn't quite right. Personally, I can't stand it, all sopped up with gravy, but he has fond memories. I wonder if M&M Meats sells frozen ones? There will be strawberry, rhubarb pie, or crisp for dessert. Daughter just texted with information about a British Car Show this weekend. I'm sure husband would like that! TTFN!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar